2015/03/23

Music While Riding

Something that seems to polarise a large portion of bikers is whether he should or should not listen to music while riding.

The major argument for riding without any music is that it prevents you from hearing the engine of your bike and traffic around you. In counter to this, I hear others say "But cagers get to listen to music without anyone complaining!"
To me, the reason not to listen has more clout than the counter. Largely because drivers don't need to be as aware of their surrounds as us.
[Please note: I say need to be, not that they shouldn't be. In an ideal world, a driver would be as aware of everything around them as bikers need to be.]

Next, you hear about how much music can affect your mood. For instance, putting on some really fast metal music can get the adrenaline going a bit, and cause you to ride faster or take more risks. There's no real counter to that one, apart from "I know, and I accept that."
For me, the choice goes down to what music you should listen to then.

So, where do I actually stand on this?
I listen to music.

My counter to the first point is that I don't have the music at any level that is over-powering. I can hear my engine, and I can hear the traffic, and as I go faster, these get louder than the music.
But when I'm going slowly, or stopped at lights, it gives something to take the edge off the boredom.
Then, my music of choice is currently psytrance. It has a consistent beat range, and isn't the most energetic of music. It's sort of soothing...

What about you all? Where do you stand?

No comments:

Post a Comment